A really important part of a steam locomotive is a clean tender. Last year I was having a problem with my injector. I finally pulled the top off my tender and low and behold, it was loaded with rust. After 12 years of running, it was time to do a deep cleaning. The rubber coating failed and rust was everywhere. I cleaned off as much of the rubber I could and used a rust removing solution called Evapo-Rust. The product did a great job, but there were areas I couldn’t get to the rust and rubber. I finally made the decision to build a new tender our of pvc sheet. I build one for my 1″ scale Atlantic and it really worked well. I decided that I didn’t want to go through this again in another 10 to 12 years. I finished my project today, in time for our annual meet at Waushakum this coming weekend. Only one mistake. I screwed on the top with my flashlight inside. Tomorrow my decals will arrive and be installed.