I did a lot of cutting ties yesterday and laid track almost up to the new bridge. After I ran out of ties, I began work at the other end. Did a lot of work on the switch. When I build the main, I added ties for the switch so that it would be in place when the time would come. Next week, I’ll finish the switch and work from this end, realign the track in place and straighten out the section wiped out by a fallen pine. Once that’s complete I can figure what I need in times. I also walked part of the Mount Extension and sprayed weed killer. When I finish the Blueberry Pass, I’ll begin preparation for the 250′ trestle on the Mountain Division Extension. (Anybody want to help build a trestle?)
Thank God for the nice weather. In less than 5 days, I managed to work on part of my extension. I graded 200′, built a bridge over the culvert, cut off of the switch that is being removed and put in about 40′ of track. If the weather had been nice at the beginning of my vacation, I would have completed a good part of this project. When complete, this will add another 900′ to my mainline. It will be a reverse loop, but when the other extension is complete, adding another 1000′ feet, another reverse loop. Eventually I will put in a new bridge along the side of my current trestle taking my mainline from 1,750′ to about 3,500′. The next phase, I have to build a 250′ trestle, but I’ve decided it’s now or never.
Back in 1973, when I was 12 years old, I purchased one of Koster’s 4 Wheel Switchers. I sold that engine some years back to a gentleman in Massachusetts. I thought I would one day see him at Waushakum, but never did. Last Saturday, I held a North East Live Steamers Meet at my track. Somehow, I overheard a conversation and the name Koster’s. My ears perked right up and I said that I once had one of his switchers. Little did I know, that my friend Jimi Smith now owns that locomotive. He purchased it from the man to whom I sold it. I’m really happy that I’ll get to see it again some day.
A day or so later, I happened upon Bill Koster on Linked in and connected. I told bill about purchasing one of his engines and that I had pictures from a visit to his track in Homestead, FL, the former home of Koster’s Miniature Railroad Supplies. I was able to find the pictures. Although I have not yet found pics of my little switchers.
That’s me sitting on the flat car behind the F-7 and behind me is my cousin Anthony. I also got to sit in the F-7 (second pic).
Here are two short video clips of yesterday’s meet. The first is of Jay Monty coming out of the covered bridge and crossing the trestle. The second video is of Jimi Smith exiting the tunnel.
Yesterday, I hosted a North East Live Steamers meet at my track (Nasonville Valley Railroad). We had a great day in all ways. From the live steamers to the weather, everything was picture perfect. Here are a few pics and videos. A few videos didn’t upload. I’ll get them on shortly.
Today, I gave the covered bridge a fresh coat of paint. I also gave the steaming bays and loading bay a fresh coat. I’m sure my hands will be clean in a few days. 😉
I just completed a few major projects that I have been wanting to do on my railroad for quite a while. The first was my crossing going from the driveway to the loading and steaming bays. I also completed the steaming bay locks to join them to the turntable and to the main line.
Sometimes, It’s hard to find those great hickory striped Railroad pants. But, I found a place where they are made in the USA and have been made since at the Round House Jeans since 1903 in Shawnee, OK.
When my dad and I built the new turntable on the railroad, I decided to put a rail on ties for the wheels of the table to roll. However, through the years that hasn’t worked out well. The weeds often jump off the rail and it is a major job trying to get it back on. I asked a friend of mine to weld a large plate for the wheels to ride on on but he suggested adding a cement ring. Last week I began pulling up the ties and rail. And yesterday I put in the forms, purchased 31 – 60 Lb bags of Sakrete concrete mix. I was able to mix and lay the whole slab and cover it with a tarp before a major rain storm began.
Every railroad has to deal with weeds and bugs along the track. It doesn’t take long for theM to over run your track. Ties, bridges and other railroad structures provide a good meal for all the bugs. I learned that well with my original trestle that we made from local, rough-cut pine. This was one of the biggest mistakes I made in building my railroad. I should have used pressure treated lumber, stained it more frequently and sprayed it with bug repellant. But as they say, you live and you learn.
Years ago, I purchased one of those Roundup 2 gallon hand pump sprayers. It may have been me, but the spray nozzle seemed to clog up every few feet. I could never spray the whole track without the nozzle either partly or fully clogging. That has all changed this week.
After a thorough search online, I settled with the Greenwood 12 volt, 15 gallon Spot sprayer sold at Harbor Freight. The unit comes with a heavy duty spraying wand and hose. With a little bit of work, you’ll have a great battery powered sprayer that can sit on any flat car. With a few pieces of PVC, valves, plugs and clamps, I built my own sprayer wand. After placing the finished unit on one of my flat cars the action began and I very happy with the results.
• Greenwood 12 volt 15 gallon Spot Sprayer
• 1/2″ PVC pipe (5′ length)
• 1/2″ PVC end caps (2)
• 1/2″ PVC valve (2)
• 1/2″ PVC Tee (2)
• 1/2″ PVC Misting System Mounting Clamp (5-Pack)
• PVC glue
• 1/2″ to 5/8″ brass hose barb (2)
• Mister Landscaper 12-Pack 15 GPH Half-circle-Spray Drip Irrigation Micro Spray (1 package)
• 1/2″ adjustable hose clamps (2)