A sand blaster is something we can all use in this hobby. When you start building a locomotive and parts sit waiting for your next step and when you rip down an older locomotive and want to prepare for repainting, this little sand blaster will come in handy. And the price is right!
I haven’t run my Little Engines Mogul (2-6-0) in a few years and have wanted to do some work on it. Today, I started work on a re-build. Just a few pictures for your viewing. I’ll have more pictures available when I get some work done on it.
The locomotive is Therese Martin #7, 7-1/4″ Baldwin Mogul. I ran her for the first time in July 2002.
1st run July
A view of the locomotive today. A rebuild begins.
A view of the steam turret
On Saturday, during our annual meet at WLS, I had just steamed up after repacking the cylinder rods on my Consolidation, hooked up to my three riding cars and put all eight drivers on the ground. As we were re-railing the locomotive, the lead truck came out of the pocket, so it had to go back to the steaming bays for a quick repair. After we got her back on the track, a friend noticed something more severely wrong with the lead truck. The axle appeared to be bent, and bent it was. That night, we went to my workshop, pulled the wheels off the axle and made a new one. All was ready to go in a few hours. Here are a few pictures. (click for larger view)
My first run in July 2010
The bent axle
Lead truck before repair, facing wheel actually angled on bent axle
Turning a new axle
Repaired lead truck ready for installation