Mountain Division Extension – update 06

Today, I just about completed the grade from the future trestle to the top of the grade. Originally thought the grade would be 2%, but I think we have it down to 1-1/2%. I hope to finish that section tomorrow morning. Today, I used both the skidder and our John Deere back hoe.

skidder-02 skidder-01

Melted grates

This past weekend, we had our annual meet at Waushakum Live Steamers. On Friday and Saturday, I had a difficulty keeping steam on my consolidation. While punching my tubes, it was discovered that one of the drive pipes from the throttle was loose. After a short repair, she was ready to go. On Sunday morning, I steamed up about 10:30 and ran for four hours pulling passengers and without a problem. The draft was so good, that one of my grates was bent. My grates are made of stainless steel, so there was one hot fire.

Mountain Division Extension update – 05

Gallery

This gallery contains 16 photos.

I have been using a skidder to begin grading the new Mountain Division. When complete, it will add another 1000′ to the current main line. This along with the double track behind the house and the new revers loop will … Continue reading

New Ash Pan

A while back, I did a post on the maintenance I’ve been doing to my Consolidation. Good news is, it’s almost finished.

This week, I finally got some 18 gauge galvanized steel. The new one is much more sturdy and has more breathing room, which should be good for the fire. I also got to try out my new metal break from Harbor Freight Tools. I picked it up during a recent sale. The thing works great. Just have to get the shop cleaned so I have a permanent space for it. I should put the door on the bottom of the ash pan next week and get my locomotive to Waushakum. Can’t wait to get out there and steam!

First picture is of the old ash pan before I ripped it out and the next is the new, almost complete ash pan.

The worn ash pan.

The old ash pan.

New Ash Pan

New Ash Pan

Consolidation maintenance

About a month ago, I began cleaning up inside the cab area of my Consolidation. I did some repainting and re-piping. Today, I finished and put the cab back on. Along with this, I’ve been working on the cylinder drains. Just waiting for a few fittings to arrive and I’ll get that finished. Next task is to rebuild the ash pan. I actually ripped it out today and began cutting some heavier material for the new one. Here are a few pics.

Look at the back head before.

Look at the back head before.

Look at the back head now.

Look at the back head now.

Look at the back head now.

Look at the back head now.

The worn ash pan.

The worn ash pan.